Longboat Solutions AS
Modern slavery is a heinous crime and a morally reprehensible act that deprives a person’s liberty and dignity for another person’s gain. It is a real problem for millions of people around the world, including many in developed countries, who are being kept and exploited in various forms of slavery. Every company is at risk of being involved in this crime through its own operations and its supply chain.
At Longboat Solutions AS we have a zero-tolerance approach to modern slavery and are fully committed to preventing slavery and human trafficking in our operation and supply chain. We have taken concrete steps to tackle modern slavery, as outlined in our statement. This statement sets out the actions that we have taken to understand all potential modern slavery risks related to our business, and to implement steps to prevent slavery and human trafficking during the financial year 2020/2021.
Our business and supply chains
• Longboat Solutions AS is a Risk Mitigation and Corporate Solutions provider
• We identify and provide legal and ethical solutions to complex issues faced by private and corporate clients as well as Governments and NGOs. These can include strategic and tactical advice as well as physical products.
• Registered and based in Norway, we operate and support clients globally.
We establish a relationship of trust and integrity with all our suppliers, which is built upon mutually beneficial factors. Our supplier selection and on-boarding procedure includes due diligence of the supplier’s reputation, respect for law and ethics, as well as compliance with health, safety and environmental standards, and references.
To date we haven’t been made aware of any allegations of human trafficking/slavery activities against any of our suppliers, but if we were, then we would act immediately, undertaking what investigations we can before reporting the allegations to the appropriate authorities.
Annually, or whenever we engage a new supplier, client or country of operation, we conduct a risk assessment of our supply chain by taking into account:
• The risk profile of individual countries based on the Global Slavery Index
• The business services rendered by the suppliers
• The presence of vulnerable demographic groups
• A news analysis and the insights of labour and human rights groups
• The activities carried out by our clients and our role in them.
This assessment will determine our response and the risk controls that we implement.
Longboat Solutions AS operates the following policies for identifying and preventing slavery and human trafficking in our operations:
• Whistleblowing Policy – we encourage all staff, consultants, clients and suppliers to report any suspicion of slavery or human trafficking without fear of retaliation.
• Code of Conduct – We strive to maintain the highest standards of employee conduct and ethical behaviour when operating at home or abroad and whilst managing our supply chain.
• Purchasing Code – we have updated our supplier contracts to make explicit reference to slavery and human trafficking.
Supplier due diligence
Longboat Solutions AS conducts due diligence on all new suppliers during on-boarding and on existing suppliers at regular intervals. This includes:
• Assessing risks in the provision of particular services
• Auditing the suppliers, and their health and safety standards, and employee contracts
• Requiring improvements to substandard employment practices
• Sanctioning suppliers that fail to improve their performance in line with our requirements
We require all suppliers to attest that:
• They don’t use any form of forced, compulsory or slave labour
• Their employees work voluntarily and are entitled to leave work
• They provide each employee with an employment contract that contains a reasonable notice period for terminating their employment
• They don’t require employees to post a deposit/bond and don’t withhold their salaries for any reasons
• They don’t require employees to surrender their passports or work permits as a condition of employment
Longboat Solutions AS has raised awareness of modern slavery issues by conducting a pre-employment briefing to all consultants and staff focused specifically on modern slavery to which explains:
• Our commitment in the fight against modern slavery
• Red flags for potential cases of slavery or human trafficking
• How staff should report suspicions of modern slavery
In addition to the awareness programme, Longboat Solutions AS has delivered training to all staff and supplier contacts, which covers:
• Various forms of modern slavery in which people can be held and exploited
• The size of the problem and the risk to our organisation
• How staff can identify the signs of slavery and human trafficking, including unrealistically low prices
• How staff should respond if they suspect slavery or human trafficking
• How suppliers can escalate potential slavery or human trafficking issues to the relevant people within their own organisation
• What external help is available for the victims of slavery
• What terms and guidance should be provided to suppliers in relation to slavery policies and controls
• What steps Longboat Solutions AS will take if a supplier fails to implement anti-slavery policies or controls
• An attestation from staff that they will abide by Longboat Solutions AS’s anti-slavery policy
Measuring how we’re performing
Longboat Solutions AS has defined a set of key performance indicators and controls to combat modern slavery and human trafficking in our organisation and supply chain. These include:
• Percentage of staff and consultants who have completed mandatory training?
• Percentage of suppliers have signed our contracts which include the anti-slavery section?
• Number of requests for more information regarding anti-slavery policy from our suppliers?
• Number of reports received by staff or consultants raising incidents of possible slavery or human trafficking issues in relation to any of our suppliers, clients or other external partners?
This statement covers 1 January 2021 to 31 December 2021 and has been approved by the board of Longboat Solutions AS.
Copyright © 2021 Skillcast. All Rights Reserved.